The Eleventh Doctor? Yep, the eleventh one. The Doctor is a Time Lord and Time Lords can regenerate (duh). So anytime the Doctor is near death or mortally wounded he can regenerate and then BAM! a new actor takes over. Each Doctor has his own little quirks, fashion, and sayings. For example, David Tennant's Tenth Doctor wore converse, an overcoat and his little catchphrase was "Allons-y!". Whereas, Matt Smith's Doctor wears a bow tie and refers to bow ties often with his phrase "Bow ties are cool." Doctor Who's cast is always changing but at the heart of it the Doctor (no matter how many actors play him) and the TARDIS will be there.
One of things that I love about the show is that it can be summed up in a sentence: It is about a 900 year old Time Lord traveling through time and space in the TARDIS saving planets with the help of his companions. Or to put it even simpler: It's about a mad man and his box. TARDIS stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. It's a time machine! The TARDIS is a blue (now called TARDIS blue by most fans) police box from the sixties.
The appeal of Doctor Who is the Doctor and his relationships with his companions and how he changes them or they change him. Every companion is a normal human who he just picks up and takes them anywhere they want to go and each companion realizes just how capable they are. Kinda cheesy, but it works. The Doctor has a big heart (he has two) and is the cleverest man in the universe. Banter is a sure thing in an episode and a few tears as well.
Doctor Who is my favorite show because it is always sure to illicit a few laughs from me and yet pull on my heart strings. The Doctor is this fantastic man that makes everything better in the end and at times you can't help but feel envious of the companions travelling through the entire universe and time. Who doesn't like a cheesy sci-fi drama at times? I strongly suggest you give it a chance. I might even have to write another blog on it... So much to write about...
Actually Charlie explains it pretty well:


Doctor Who and Charlie in one post together? I think this is heaven.
ReplyDeleteI love Doctor Who. I think the character developments got a little wonky in the past few series, but I still love having free time to catch up. One of the best episodes is easily the Van Gogh episode. Makes me cry every time!
I am so glad that BBC is included in our basic cable; I've always meant to get into Doctor Who, and now I don't see myself getting anything done the rest of the semester!
ReplyDeleteTaylor M. McCarty
I couldn't agree with Jess more! What could possibly be better than Doctor Who AND charlieissocoollike!!!
ReplyDeleteSo good. I could spend all day watching Doctor Who (with Charlie, preferably, haha).
British TV series! I love all of them!
ReplyDelete